Do you have water damage in New York or New Jersey? Do you need mold removal in New York or New Jersey? Call us now so we can help get your life back to normal! (646) 593-7692 or toll free 1-855-692-7303
What is Water Damage
Water damage includes numerous possible scenarios brought on by water intruding inside your residence where it can cause damage to the materials/structure through harmful processes like decaying of wood, mold growth, corroding of metal, de-laminating of materials like plyboard, and several others.
The damage can be imperceptibly time-consuming yet slight, like water spots that may eventually mar a surface, or it could be immediate and disastrous, for instance in flooding. However fast it happens, water damage can be a big cause of the loss of home and property.
Reasons for Water Damage
There are many reasons water damage can occur in your home or business. Water can come from the outside through a leaky roof or improperly sealed house exterior. Whatever the reason, once water finds its way into your home it can cause damage to the materials and structure of your home in a number of ways. Natural processes such as the decay of wood, mold growth, and metal corrosion are just some of the possibilities where water damage results in expensive repairs to your home. Materials that have a laminated surface, such as plywood, can also be affected.
Because the processes that cause the damage are natural, it may take weeks or months for the damage to be visible to the eye. Water spots may appear to only mar a surface, but beneath what appears to be a small problem can require significant repair later on. Immediate damage is also possible, such as in the case of flooding. Regardless of how long it takes for the damage to appear, the potential for significant loss of home and property is always present when water appears unexpectedly.
Typical Areas In Which Water Intrusion Occurs
Here is a list of the many common places where water can make its way into your home. There are others, so it may require a professional service to perform a complete inspection to determine the exact location of every place water has intruded.
- Entrance doors and home windows: Look for leaking all around your doors and windows, particularly close to the edges. Pay attention to cracking/peeling paint, which is often an indication of water seeping into the wood. Examine for discolorations around paint as well as caulking. Look for swelling around windows, door frames and around similar materials.
- Roof structure: Repair or replace roofing shingles close to any area that permits water to go into the rooftop sheathing. Leaking is especially frequent around fireplaces, plumbing pipe vents and attic grills. To follow the origin of a roof leak, determine its location coming from the closest exterior wall and find this same point in the attic by using a tape measure. Remember that the water might run down attic flooring, rafters, or trusses for a considerable way prior to coming through the ceiling.
- Groundwork and outside walls: Seal off all splits and holes in exterior wall structures and footings. Look at carefully all places where piping or electrical wiring runs through the exterior walls. Fill up all of the cracks/splits/chips in these areas with sealer.
- Plumbing related: Look for leaky sinks, dripping or condensing water lines, stopped up drains and defective water drainage equipment. Examine clothes washer tubes for damage, cracks or dampness. Change them every couple of years, or before, if issues are found. Examine your water heater for indications of corrosion or water leakage on around the base.
- Former termite damaged materials: Search for termite damage on wood components like walls, trusses or flooring surfaces. Any wood in contact with the outside could possibly result in water intrusion or termite infestation.
Water Damage NY
We have offices in New York and New Jersey to serve you. Call us toll free 855-692-7303. Call us today for the fastest service and best prices. We have been in this business for over 25 years and know how to get your life back to normal.
Mold Remediation in NYC
Mold can be a serious problem. Most of the time you don’t know it’s a problem until it’s too late. Don’t wait around wondering if you have mold. Call us today 855-692-7303 to put your mind at ease. We are specialists in mold removal. We put the no vacancy sign up for mold!